Factors Influencing BigCommerce Development Costs
BigCommerce is a state-of-the-art eCommerce platform for businesses that can help your business grow. At present, there are almost 45,670 live stores running on the BigCommerce website.
That’s great, but do you know how much it costs to build a BigCommerce website? in this post, we will uncover the pricing plans of BigCommerce, discussing each BigCommerce pricing plan in detail and revealing the extra costs that can increase that cost.
An overview of BigCommerce Pricing plan
BigCommerce has three pricing plans ranging from $29 to $299 per month. It also includes a custom-priced Enterprise plan for those who require it. Here’s what each price has to offer.
The Standard Plan
Price: $29 per month
– it is best for new stores
– suitable for stores with revenue up to $50K per year
The standard plan may come at a cheap price, but it is feature packed. All BigCommerce plans give you unlimited storage, product listing, bandwidth, and staff account — all with no transaction fees.
Not just that! The best part of BigCommerce is that it lets you sell across multiple sales channels. Other features include product rating and reviews, discounts, gift card creation, and real time shipping quotes.
This plan is perfect for business owners just starting out or looking to grow.
The Plus Plan
Price: $79 per month
– includes abandoned cart recovery tools and more
– best for growing stores
– best for stores with revenue up to $180K per year
The plus plan comes with every feature that comes in the standard plan. The plus point here is the additional tools that it offers. These include:
- Customer Group — lets you build customer groups and offer rewards to loyal customers by creating a loyalty program.
- Abandoned Cart Saver — lets you send automated emails to customers who abandoned their carts at checkout.
- Persistent Cart — lets you save the customers shopping cart to their accounts. It enables them to continue shopping even after switching devices.
- Stored Credit Cards — it enables the customers to checkout faster by allowing them to store their credit card information.
This plan is perfect for business owners trying to improve the customer experience and boost sales.
The Pro Plan
Price: $299 per month
– Best for stores trying to build customer experiences
– Suitable for businesses with revenue more up to $400 per year
A heavy price but comes with features that are designed to take your business to the next level. It offers an impressive range of features that are meant for businesses with big budgets.
The pro plan includes everything that the standard and plus plan has to offer, including the following additional features:
- Google Customer Reviews — you can collect customer feedback and view product ratings on Google
- Product Filtering — it enables the customers to quickly find out the product they are looking for using filters like color, size or brand.
- Custom SSL — if you have brought your SSL elsewhere, you can simply transfer it to your BigCommerce store.
These are some features that are useful for an already established online store that is looking to further refine customer experience.
The Enterprise Plan
Price: Custom (Depends on the features and services)
– Additional services and support features
– Suitable for businesses with revenue over $400K per year
The enterprise plan of BigCommerce lets you max out on everything, including the features offered in the above three plans.
- Price lists — it enables you to display different pricing to different customer groups, such as wholesalers and retailers.
- Custom Product filters — add custom product fields enabling your customers to narrow down their search through filters.
- Unlimited API calls — you can send unlimited number of API requests to your server.
The enterprise plan is for businesses that are looking for something unique in terms of pricing plan. It is designed to serve high-volume enterprises. Besides that, you’ll also get personalized installation and data migrations, allowing you to focus on your business.
You must remember, BigCommerce pricing upgrades as you grow. It means when you hit a certain revenue cap per year, BigCommerce will move you to a more advanced plan.
For example, you are currently using the standard BigCommerce plan, and your store is generating over $50K revenue per year. It is in your best interest to upgrade the BigCommerce pricing plan to unlock more features that can work for a better customer experience — like the plus plan — ultimately increasing year over year revenue for your business.
Hidden Costs of BigCommerce
When signing up at BigCommerce, it is likely you want to know if there are any additional or hidden costs that might crop up either at the checkout or further down the path.
Here is a list of factors that may affect the total cost for setting up a BigCommerce store.
Domain name is like a banner for your store. It informs the website visitors about who you are before it presents the information of what you do or have to offer to them. The Domain name from BigCommerce will cost approximately $12.27 for a year.
Credit Card Rates
If a consumer makes a transaction at your store using a POS device but uses a credit card, BigCommerce will charge a modest fee for that transaction at your store. For debit and credit cards, BigCommerce charges about 2.9% or $0.30 for each transaction. The higher your BigCommerce pricing plan, the lower your credit pricing plans.
BigCommerce’s credit card fees is a little higher than Shopify, but BigCommerce doesn’t charge any transaction fees. This is what sets BigCommerce apart from its competitors.
BigCommerce offers a range of free themes that you can choose from. However, there is a chance you want to pick a premium theme for your store.
Premium BigCommerce themes range from $135 to $300 each that must be paid once at the time of purchase.
But why choose a premium theme when there are free ones? Website designs are vital to make a robust impression, and 94% of the first impressions depends on it. Choosing a premium theme means more built-in features and a customizable design from the beginning.
The biggest reason for BigCommerce being a powerful eCommerce builder is that it comes with built-in tools and features. Besides that, it also has its own app store from where you can choose additional features or tools to add into your store.
There is a selection of free and paid apps, which vary in price. The platform’s top paid apps can range from $9 to $50 per month. Many apps also offer a free trial or free plan, so you can choose of you want to pay for an upgraded service.
Building a store yourself seems like a good option, especially if you have a budget. But if you want to give your store a boost, hiring professionals is the way to go.
At Codup, we have BigCommerce-certified developers with a wealth of knowledge and hands-on experience to the table. We are well-versed in the intricacies of BigCommerce and can tailor your BigCommerce store to your unique needs.
The Verdict: Is BigCommerce Cost Worth It?
Creating a BigCommerce store undoubtedly comes with a high cost. The price varies significantly among pricing plans and will increase as your business grow up. However, it is worth it, if you want to succeed in the long run.
Make sure to have a comprehensive evaluation of your business needs and your budget before making a decision. You should consider each factor that can impact the BigCommerce development cost and choose a platform that falls in your budget.